Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Leek soup

On April 2, Tahlia and I were outside playing. After feeding Asher, Mommy came to join us. We were just up at the playground doing the usual things: drawing with chalk, running around, swinging.

After a little while, Tahlia said that she wanted to climb a tree. We went to a near by try, and I lifted her up to the lowest branch. She, of course, wanted to "do it by my oat," meaning that she could do it by herself. I, of course, kept my hands almost attached, knowing that at any moment she could topple. After an extended period of time, about thirty seconds, she was ready to try something different. I suggested one of our latest activities -- looking for bugs. She acquiesced, so we began our search.

An ant traipsed by. Then nothing. A lady bug graced us with its presence, then fluttered away. Then nothing. I bored of looking -- it was too cold to find any good bugs. I think she too bored.

By this time, Mommy had joined us. We were on a hill that was overgrown with lawn, but, currently in our neighborhood, what lawn isn't overgrown. We wonder, often, why we pay a grounds keeper when he doesn't seem to keep the ground.

To my joy, there were some chives growing near where we were sitting. I ripped some up and had her smell them. She wanted Mommy to smell them of course, and I smelled them too. After a little while, I asked if she would like to make some Leek soup. Of course chives aren't leeks, but she doesn't know this.

So we began the process. First, gather some chives. Then, add a dash of leaves. Next comes the extra grass and little sticks. After all of the ingredients are gathered, stir with a stick. Vuala -- leek soup.

We tasted it, all admiring its rich body and warmth. I love that Tahlia can pretend to taste things. One of her friends, when ever we pretend to eat something, always ends up with a ring of dirt around his mouth and a muddy tongue. This is not the case with Tahlia.

We left the soup on the ground, and moved on to the next activity.

No comments: