Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving and giving thanks

A few years back, Mommy and I, pre-Tahlia and Asher, were celebrating Thanksgiving with some friends in Oregon. As we sat at the dinner table, the husband of the couple who are no longer together, stated that he and his wife had started a tradition. The tradition was to go around the table and have everyone state one thing for which they were thankful. Initially, I was thankful that I didn’t have to go first so that I could judge what types of things others in my peer circle were thankful for. When it came to be my turn, I said something that was in line with everyone else’s.

I did, however, like the idea of stating something for which you wanted to give thanks. Mommy and I have tried to remember this and, during thanksgiving, state something for which we are thankful. Since Tahlia is at an age now where I can ask her more complicated questions, I decided this year that I would tell her about this tradition.

I told her that Thanksgiving was a time to think about all of the things we are thankful for and let people know. I stated that I was thankful for Mommy, Tahlia, and Asher. Then I asked her what she was thankful for.

“Candles.”

“You’re thankful for Candles?”

“Yeah. Candles.”

I reminded her of the types of things I was thankful for, and re-asked the question.

“Candles.”

I gave up.

That was in the morning. After nap, it was cool enough that we needed to put on jackets, but warm enough, and sunny enough that a tromp out to the playground to go on the swing, her scooter, and her bicycle, which is actually a tricycle, was warranted. Suki and I mounted the hill with Asher in tow; Tahlia lagging behind. Mommy came shortly after with Grandma, who is now living with us. Then, playing ensued.

There was running down hills, jumping from benches, pushing on swings, chasing, laughing, running, jumping, glee. After a little while, Grandma was cold so she went inside, leaving just the nuclear family – Mommy, Tahlia, Asher, Suki and me. In the mid afternoon light, love floated about all of us. For a few minutes, all of our worries were gone. Tahlia sat beside me by the tennis court, magnanimously giving me leaves. Then Mommy did some ballet steps from her youth, which led to Tahlia scooting up to dance with her. Asher and I sat in the cool fall air watching the two ladies dance and spring and soar about. There was a lightness about all of us and the dried leaves seemed more to sing than to scratch around the pavement. Tahlia dashed over to sit with me, handing me more leaves that she stated were the other leaves’ family. She didn’t want them to be alone. Mommy came over to see what we were doing and Tahlia sprang up to dash away. Mommy gave quick pursuit. Asher and I realized that we didn’t want to miss out on the running, and we to fled to join our loved ones.

And as all of this occurred, I realized how thankful I am for my family. I realized how lucky I am to have a wife who will dash and chase after her little girl, forgetting for a moment that people may watch and judge from their windows. I realized how lucky I am to have a little girl who hops and jumps and scoots over to her little brother to kiss him on the head and let him know how much she loves him. I realized how lucky I am that even though there is so much going on in our lives right at this moment that is making it so hard to see the little things that are truly joyous, in this one afternoon, I can see how much I really have to be thankful for. For having a wife, daughter, and son who are healthy and happy to just spend time with one another is really a reason to give thanks.

We all sat down on the pavement holding hands. It was almost time to go in because Tahlia was hungry, and we were all becoming cold. Tahlia decided that it was Mommy’s birthday, and so we sang happy birthday to her, while we all held hands – even Asher. Of course, Asher didn’t sing, but we did hold his hands.

After finishing, I decided to try once again.

“Remember today is Thanksgiving? Well I wanted to tell everyone that I’m thankful for you,” I pointed at Tahlia, “and you,” I pointed at Mommy, “and you.” I point finally at Asher.

Mommy told everyone that she is thankful for all of us too.

It was Tahlia’s turn. Thankfully, she didn’t say that she was thankful for candles. “What are you thankful for Tahlia?”

“Carrots.”

We were going to having sweet potatoes as part of our dinner. She had some for snack and really liked them. She obviously thinks they’re carrots.

But I know that this moment will be part of her consciousness for a long time, and Mommy and I will continue to have moments like these for a long time. And, one day, she will not only be thankful for items that start with a “c”, but for her family as well.

2 comments:

DW said...

This was beautiful, Muggsie.
I'm thankful that you found the time to share it, and that in spite of everything going on you're still able to see these wonderful things. Hugs to all of you!

hilary said...

What a sweet moment! I think the "candles" reply comes from a preschool song: "Thank you for the candles, thank for the wine, thank you for the challah that always tastes so fine . . ." Sophia is consistently thankful for candles as well.