Sunday, November 16, 2008

Communications with the Cat

She's sitting on the blue Bjorn potty in her room. It is nap time.

I'm sitting next to her waiting for her to finish pooping. Later in life, she will be angry that people read this type of thing about her.

As I'm sitting there, she tells me to do something, "Daddy, go tell Kitty-cat that I'm on the potty."

"You want me to tell Kitty-cat that?" I'm not overly enthusiastic about crawling over to a stuffed animal in an attempt to communicate with it.

"Yeah." She smiles.

"Ok." I reluctantly crawl over to the potty and mumble to Rona, the black cat, that Tahlia is on the potty, cognizant that the monitor, that sits beside her bed, is currently transmitting to the living room where a guest sits talking to Mommy. Then I crawl back.

"Daddy? What did Kitty-cat say?"

"She said ok." I'm not exactly sure what Kitty-cat should say, so I took my best shot.

"Uhm, Daddy? I pretty sure that Kitty-cat said that I like Dog-dog and so she is cuddling with Panda in the bed."

"Oh. I see."

"Daddy, go tell Kitty-cat 'la la-la la la-la-la'."

"Uhm, Tahlia, what does that mean?"

"It means, uhm, it means, it means the umidifier is, no! the noise maker is on."

"Ok." I crawl again over to Kitty to mumble her code. When I arrive back to her, I let her know that her message has been transmitted.

"What did Kitty-cat say?"

I wasn't expecting this, it is the proverbial curve ball. I decide that since she gave me nonsense, I'll give nonsense back to her. "Kitty-cat said 'wa wa wa-wa-wa waaa'."

She pauses. "Daddy, what does that mean?"

"I don't know Tahlia. What does it mean?"

Without skipping a beat she says, "It means the music is on" and smiles.

Who would have known that not only did she have a secret language with Kitty-cat, but that Kitty-cat communicated back to her.

No comments: