Friday, July 18, 2008

Concern

Tahlia has always been a child who has shown concern. She often asks us to explain why this child or that child was crying. We have elaborate stories that I will relate at some point surrounding Zara, Mya, Miriam and other children trying to shed some light on why they were crying and why it is ok.

Recently, though, Mommy has been dealing with a lot. Because of these factors, Mommy felt overwhelmed in the car on the ride home from an appointment. After she stated this feeling of being overwhelmed, Tahlia began asking why,

"Mommy, why you sad?"

"Tahlia, Mommy isn't really sad, it is just that there is a lot on her mind right now. There is a lot she's thinking about."

"Daddy, why Mommy thinking about a lot?"

"I don't know, there is just a lot she has to think about."

"Why, Mommy sad?"

Seeing as though my current answer didn't work, I attempt to switch gears. "Hey Tahlia? Do you know when Daddy keeps tickling you and you start to feel crazy and want him to stop?" I see her head nod. "Well that is a little bit of how Mommy feels right now. But she is all right and will be fine soon."

"Why Daddy tickling Mommy?"

Obviously the second attempt didn't work. Fortunately, a cherry picker or some other vehicle passes by and Mommy's consternation is no longer on the table.

Well, at that time.

Suddenly, when I am putting her to bed tonight, she brings up the subject again.

"Daddy? Why Mommy sad?"

"Well Honey, she really isn't sad. There is just a lot she has to think about right now."

"Why Tahlia, and Daddy, and Asher not sad?"

"Well, Mommy isn't really sad either. She just has a lot to think about now."

"Why there a lot for her to think about now?"

"Well, there just is. What is important is that even though she has a lot to think about, she really is happy."

"Why she really happy?"

"Mommy's happy because she has a wonderful little girl who she loves and loves her; a wonderful little boy who she loves and who loves her; and a Daddy, that's me, who loves her sooooooooooo much."

I think I've found the answer. I hoped, with my switch from sad to happy, she will bite and the reason behind the overwhelmed Mommy will be gone. What I don't expect is the next thing she says.

"Why Daddy love Mommy?"

I lay out the laundry list of reasons for why Daddy loves Mommy, and she is content. In a few minutes, she is asleep, her world safe again with a Mommy who is happy, and a Daddy who loves her Mommy.

No comments: