Tuesday, August 26, 2008

What are you

As you know, Tahlia likes to decide what people are.

Currently, Asher is an apple, Daddy is a cucumber, and Tahlia is a strawberry.

Asher has, consistently, been an apple lately. At the beginning of the weekend, Tahlia and Asher were both bananas, but that all changed when we went shopping. Daddy has been a cucumber for as long as I can remember.

"But, what about Mommy?" you might ask as Tahlia often does.

Well, that took a little work tonight. Recently, Mommy has been a pumpkin. But not initially tonight.

I'm holding Asher, while Tahlia and I sit at the dinner table. Tahlia has her food in front of her, Mommy is making up our plates in the kitchen.

"Daddy, Atah sing the fruit song." She states.

The fruit song is when I hold Asher and bounce him around, singing a nonsensical song about how his big sister is a strawberry, or pear, or peach, well, you get the idea, and Asher is a apple, or banana or . . . well, you know.

Todays fruit song is a little different though. Since I'm unsure what everyone is, I pause after each name to allow her to fill it in.

"I'm Asher," I start singing, "And I'm an . . ."

"Apple."

"I'm an apple and I love my big sister who is an . . ."

"Peach, no, strawberry" the "aw" is drawn out.

"And I love my big sister who is a strawberry. She is so sweet and great. I have a Daddy who is a . . ."

"Cucumber."

As I type this out, I feel like we are playing some strange game of Mad-Libs.

"And my Daddy is a cucumber. But I love my Mommy soooo much. My Mommy is a . . ."

No reply. She is thinking. She is staring off into space chewing on some rice pasta as she contemplates what Mommy is.

I try again, "And my Mommy is a . . ."

"Mommy a La-lalli." She smiles.

"Mommy's a La-Lalli?" I ask incredulously.

"Yeah," she smiles. "Mommy a La-lalli."

"Hey Mommy," I call to Mommy in the kitchen, "Did you know you're a La-lalli?"

"No," she sing-songs back to us. "Am I a la-lalli?"

"Yeah!" blurts out Tahlia as she begins to laugh.

"What is a La-lalli?" Mommy inquires.

She is now laughing and has a huge smile plastered across her face, "A La-lalli is a puhn." She giggles.

"It's a puhn Mommy." I tell her, making sure Mommy hears.

"A puhn, huh?"

"What's a puhn," I ask Tahlia.

"A puhn is a pear." She laughs.

"Oh, ok. So Mommy is a pear?" I continue with the Asher fruit song. "I love my Mommy who is a pear."

"No, no, no, no." Tahlia interrupts, "Mommy a pumpkin." She smiles and continues to eat her pasta.

No comments: